Saturday, October 18, 2014

What waves?

More times than not, if Alan was playing music (very loudly) in the basement, it was electronic dance music. He had gotten into well-mixed DJ music such as that of DJ AM, but when he got to Iowa, he expanded his tastes and met a lot of people in the dance music scene.

One subgenre he listened to a lot was called vaporwave. It's a movement that grew out of/next to chillwave, using parodied overcommercialized imagery and sounds, 80's and 90's music, pop culture, Japanese and Korean lettering, et cetera, and blending it into a choppy/jazzy mix.

Maybe I didn't describe it very well, so I'll show you Alan's description. He made this film for a production class. He didn't share it, I think mostly because he didn't yet have access to good sound equipment, and was a bit worried about the sound quality. It won't play embedded, so you'll have to click the link.

This Saint Pepsi album was on his youtube account.


It includes the sound that Toad makes on MarioKart. Yeah, I can't pretend I understood all of this, but I did hear it a lot. Or at least the bass thumping through the ceiling/floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment