Sunday, October 19, 2014

Rock Bottom

Looking back at the last couple years for Alan, I see a whole bunch of accomplishments and disappointments. From my vantage, I saw good grades, good friends, keeping appointments, and a strong effort to do the good thing. I also saw difficulty keeping on top of responsibilities, trouble sticking with a job, and too many times saying "f--- it," which inevitably led to trouble -- my bike getting stolen, an OWI mostly from being a smartass to a park ranger, blacking out in a stairwell. His life was a lot of ups and downs, but there were so many ups, and I was so proud of him.

He didn't see things like that. Those accomplishments didn't matter. His experience was that of a burden constantly being on him. The oppressive feeling of responsibility when you don't think you are going to live up to expectation and the fog of melancholy were always there. When he did well, or when he was having a good time, he truly did seem to feel good. It just didn't last; it always faded back into the fog.

He must have felt like he was constantly hitting rock bottom, and when he hit its surface, it would shatter, revealing an even deeper chasm in which to fall. This summer, I thought he had reached the bottom. After his OWI, Mom and Dad briefly moved him into an apartment closer to downtown so he didn't have to find a way to get downtown without a car. I checked on him regularly, but his sleeping schedule was way off, and it was hard. He had quit his job and was looking for work. He was focusing on substance counseling, and we were working on getting him to get mood treatment as well.

One evening, I took him out to dinner, and we listened to his music in the car. I had introduced him to Schubert's Death and the Maiden quartet, and he had put it on his phone. He thanked me for showing him the piece.



He had also discovered Mingus and Moanin'.


I think he said that Jordan had played it for him in New York. I can't imagine he had never heard it before given how many times Uncle Steve and I played and talked jazz with him, but this was an epiphany for him. It spoke to him.

I remember thinking that these two pieces were the sounds of his rock bottom. I thought he had nowhere to go but up, and he seemed to be looking that way. I had no idea how much further he would fall.

1 comment:

  1. Alan tried very, very hard to do his best even when his crippling illness deprived him of carrying on the little chores of daily life without feeling hopeless.He studied hard and tried to work. He delivered sandwiches on a bicycle in blizzard conditions on because he wanted to feel he accomplished something. Even when he could not concentrate because melancholy fogged his brain, he worked so hard to get excellent grades. When he started to have dreams and hopes of going back to New York to work with Isaac, I started having dreams and hopes for him. Darkest karma was always around him because he wanted to help someone worse off than himself, which would pull him away and down. A beautiful, gifted child was consumed by this terrible illness, an illness for which there still is no cure. I miss him with a broken heart.

    ReplyDelete