Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Fratres

Marianna Allen once taught me the movie version of the fortune cookie "in bed" game, you know, where you add "in bed" to the end of your fortune? "Big things are coming your way" or "Expect lots of business ahead" take on new meanings, adults giggle like adolescents, et cetera.

The movie version is to add "up your butt". Try it -- most of the Harry Potter series is hilarious. Classics like Twelve Angry Men, not-so-classics like Dude, Where's My Car, well, you get the point.

We both watched one of the goodies for this game, There Will Be Blood, but I think separately. It isn't the movie so much that reminds me of him. It's the music.

The soundtrack features the cello version of Arvo Pärt's Fratres, a piece that he wrote and rewrote over and over again for different instruments and ensembles. Each version starts with a very mathematically arranged set of chords diverging from a center point, and then explores that series. The solo cello version sounds almost baroque, with each chord broken up into rolling arpeggios. The solo violin version is similar as well.



Some of the other versions sound quite different. The chords sing out in a ghostly manner, changing yet unchanging.


I played this version, and a few other pieces, for Alan on a longer than expected drive from my place in Chicago to Madison. I think it appealed to the part of his musical sensibility that listened to electronic dance music, capturing some of the "trance" element.

Two versions of one piece, exactly the same underneath, yet totally different. Like two brothers.

1 comment:

  1. Too sad to listen. I wish I could be able to understand just fraction of his pain to really help him enough that he is still with us.

    ReplyDelete