Friday, November 14, 2014

Thinking 'Bout Me

One of the first bands that I listened to, and got Alan into, was a group called Jim's Big Ego. I had heard them at NACA (the same place we booked Retta), and the mix of self-deprecating humor and wit just struck me as cool.

They have never been a huge mainstream hit, but NPR kind of adopted them for a while. Alan and I loved some of their sillier songs. This was the first song...



Alan and I had matching Jim's Big Ego tee-shirts. Alan's was a medium, and he still had it all these years later. He could still fit into those shirts from when he was 9. I found it in his dresser last week. Another example:



Despite our very different styles, there was a surprising large segment of the Venn diagram in the middle -- the stuff we both liked. Of course, the classical, the cartoons, the jazz, the dorky stuff, but also this stuff -- the random, goofy stuff that managed to be both happy-go-lucky and dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment