Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Dreamland

Like many little kids, Alan had some stuffed animals when he was little. The first was a tiny sheep, representing his zodiac sign. Then, there was the old teddy bear I played with when I was little. There were Pokémon for the two of us (mine was Snorlax), but his favorite was Kirby.


\Alan loved the Kirby video games. So, one day, he asked Mom to make him a Kirby. She made a little pink stuffed doll out of rice and felt, and Alan carried it around with him everywhere. It didn't take long for it to get dirty -- especially after boating with a friend -- he was prone to carsickness. Mom remade an identical Kirby doll out of washable fabric and plastic beads.

Alan would talk for Kirby in a high pitched voice. Sometimes I would, too.

Many years later, Pete Bartels would show me the Kirby/Drop it Like it's Hot mix.


I miss that little guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment